- Comments (0) Change font
If columns/tables do not appear straight, change font
REPORT OF VISITATION OF GREENWICH HOSPITAL ESTATES IN 1815 A REPORT OF THE PROCEEDINGS OF CAPTAIN BROWELL, LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR AND The Honorable and very Reverend the DEAN OF WINDSOR TWO OF THE Directors of the Royal Hospital for Seamen at Greenwich ACCOMPANIED BY JOHN DYER, Esq. The Secretary therof ON A VIEW OF the PRINCIPAL ESTATES BELONGING TO THE HOSPITAL, In the counties of CUMBERLAND, NORTHUMBERLAND, and DURHAM IN THE MONTHS OF July and August, 1815 Printed by W. Winchester and Son, Strand ADVERTISEMENT THE Receivers of the Hospital’s Estates in the North, having transmitted Plans of the Homesteads on Langley Castle and Thornbrough Highbarn Farms, as models of most of the new Establishments, which have been rendered necessary, either by the incorporation of small Farms, the divisions of Commons, or other causes. It has been judged advisable to subjoin to the following sheets the Plan of Thornborough Highbarn Farm, although that of Langley Castle Farm only is referred to in page 21 of this Report. AT A MEETING OF THE Directors of Greenwich Hospital At SALTER’S HALL On Wednesday, 21 st June 1815 Present: Captain BROWELL, Lieutenant Governor, Admiral Sir J. Colpoys, G.C.B., Sir W. Bellingham, Bart, Rt. Hon. Lord AUCKLAND, JOHN YENN, Esq, Rev. JOHN COOKE., Dr. ROBERTSON, Sir ROBERT PRESTON, BART, G.T GOODENOUGH, Esq Ordered, That the Clerk of the Works do forthwith proceed to Newcastle , to examine and consider the proposals which may have been delivered to the Receivers , pursuant to advertisement, for building the Churches and Parsonage Houses necessary to be erected in the late Parish of Simonburn. Resolved, That the lieutenant Governor and the Dean of Windsor (who have consented to be a deputation) together with the Secretary, do also proceed to Newcastle, for the purpose of entering into Contracts for the said Buildings. That they also visit the several Rectories in the late Parish of Simonburn, and report what measures it may be proper to take for the sale of the Tythes of Wellhaugh Township, towards defraying the expence of building Parsonage Houses, and purchase of Glebe, considering at the same time how far it may be advisable to attempt to recover for the several Incumbents, the Tythe of Agistment, which by an agreement between the late Dr. Scott and his Parishioners, was not to be litigated during his incumbency; and that they do also visit such other parts of the Hospitals Estates in the North, as in their opinion may be proper, reporting their observations and proceedings to the Board. MY LORDS AND GENTLEMEN, GREENWICH, 9th October, 1815 IN execution of the Mission to the Hospital’s Estates in the North, with which we were charged by your Minute of the 21st of June last, we left Greenwich, accompanied by your Secretary, on the 7th of July, and arrived at Newcastle on the 11th, where we found Mr. Seward, the Clerk of the Works, who on the following Morning laid before us several Proposals which had been received for building the new Churches at Thorneyburn and Greystead, and the Parsonage Houses at Bellingham, Thorneyburn, Greystead, and Falstone, no Tender having been received for erecting a Church and Parsonage House at Wark, or Chapel of Ease and Curate’s House at Humshaugh; the Ground whereon they are to stand not being yet purchased. The Proposals above-mentioned appeared to be so much at variance with each other, and with the Estimates which the clerk of the Works had prepared, that we deemed it expedient to send for such of the Artificers as were in the Neighbourhood, and to converse with them on the subject; by which we found that most of them had altogether mistaken the manner in which it was expected that the Work should be performed, or the Quality of the Timber proposed to be used in the Buildings; We therefore directed them attentively to consider the Specifications and plans which the Clerk of the Works had prepared, to amend their Estimates, and to meet us at Haydon Bridge on the 25th of July to which place it was our intention to repair after we had visited the several Parishes in the late District of Simonburn; and we also desired such of the said Artificers as should be disposed to undertake the erection of a Church and Parsonage-house at Wark, and Chapel of Ease at Humshaugh, to deliver to us their Proposals at the same time and place. During our continuance at Newcastle, we availed ourselves of an opportunity to visit the Hospital’s Lead-Yard, in which we found 6057 pieces of Lead deposited, ready for sale, and 1600 pieces sold, but not delivered; and we understood from the Receivers, that there are upwards of 2200 pieces of Lead at Langley Lead-Mill, independent of the Ore now in operation; but that the price of Lead has for some time past been so much reduced, that the Lead Sale-Agent had not considered it advisable at present, to dispose of the Stock now in hand. The Wall of the Lead-Yard appeared to be too low and exposed to the public, and we recommend to the Receivers, that measures should be taken for better securing the Lead from depredation; and also to endeavour to obtain from the Corporation of Newcastle, to whom it belongs, a further Lease of the Premises, the present Lease expiring in 1820. It was proposed by the Receivers, that the small Dwelling-House in the Yard, now occupied by a Labourer, should be removed, and rebuilt in a more convenient situation; but we are of opinion, that this work should not be undertaken until the Hospital obtains a more extended interest in the Premises. Having been informed by Receivers that the Farms in the Estate of Spindleston and Outchester were about to be re-let, and that it was necessary that several additions, alterations, and improvements, should be made in the Buildings thereon, we considered it to be our duty to view, not only the Farms in question, but such other parts of the Estate as we could conveniently visit, where material expense had been incurred since the last visitation, to enable us to judge of the necessity of the additions or alterations proposed, or undertaken; and we shall therefore report our observations thereon in the order, in which the several Farms, &c. were visited. On the 13th, accompanied by the Receivers, we proceeded to Glororum, which, with the other Farms belonging to the Spindleston and Outchester Estates, is advertised to be let, and entered upon on the 12th of May next, and we found the condition of the Buildings on this Estate to be as follows Glororum The Dwelling-House on this Farm appears to be in good repair, but the Offices, with the exception of those in South-West Field are very inconveniently arranged; the Byers and Hovelling are in bad condition, the Barns too small, and the Buildings generally too much detached. A cottage is proposed by the Receivers to be built at the establishment in South-West Field, and a new arrangement of Offices made at the Homestead. The erection of a Threshing Machine to go by Steam, the expense of which will probably amount to about £550 is also proposed to be undertaken at the new letting, should the same be requested by the Tenant; in which case it will be stipulated that he pay £8 per Cent. On the amount of the sum to be laid out for this necessary accommodation. In transmitting to the Board an estimate of the expense of the several alterations and additions to the Buildings which may be requisite on this Farm, we directed the Receivers to accompany the same with a plan of the arrangement of offices as they now stand, and as it is their intention to propose; and also of such other establishments as either from a state of dilapidation, in which the several buildings may happen to be, or from the new and improved state of husbandry in the North, it may hereafter be found necessary to re-model SPINDLESTONE FARM The Dwelling-House is in tolerable repair, but requires to be covered with slate. Byers are much wanted for the use of the Cottagers, the Cow now occupying part of each Cottage. Another Granary is also wanted for the use of the Tenant, and the Fold is much exposed for want of a judicious arrangement of Offices. A Threshing Machine to go by Steam will also be highly useful on this far, the erection of which the Receivers intend to submit to the consideration of the Board, should the new Tenant require it, and be willing to pay the usual additional rent of £8 per Cent. For the money laid out. SPINDLESTON MILL The Roof is much out of repair, but as this Establishment is small and connected with Warren Mill, it will of course be put into good condition at the commencement of the new Lease. WARREN MILL is in tolerable good condition and also the Dwelling-House belonging it; the Water Wheel will however require considerable Repair. A small Threshing Machine to go by Water would be useful for the Land belonging to this Farm (which, at the new letting, will consist of about 94 Acres), and may be attached to theWater Wheel of the Mill at a small expense; but it will not be recommended by the Receivers to the Board, unless the new Tenant should require it and offer to pay the additional Rent. A range of Sheds for the Tenant’s Carts is desirable, and also a Barn for the Threshing Machine, should the latter be hereafter provided. OUTCHESTER The Dwelling – House consists of only a Parlour and kitchen below, and two small Lodging Rooms above, and is too small, the present Tenant being under the necessity of sleeping in the Kitchen. The House is in tolerable condition, except the roof, which is out of repair; the walls should be raised and new roofed, with a view of making two additional lodging rooms; without which, proper accommodation cannot be afforded to the in-coming Tenant on this excellent and extensive Farm. A Threshing Machine worked by Wind has been erected on this Farm since the last visitation, for which the Tenant pays an additional Rent of £52 per Annum, being at the usual rate of £8 per Cent. For a convenience of this description. An additional Fold is wanting, and the Granary should be re-built and the floor re-laid, the front walls having in several places given way. A small Hemel with a Granary above, will also require to be re-built, the main timbers being entirely decayed, and Byers are wanting here as at Spindleston for the use of the Cottagers. The Tenant is put to great inconvenience for Water, the well having been sunk in a quicksand and become dry. We recommended to the Receivers that the well should be deepened, with a view to obtain a constant supply of water, or that measures should be taken to convey it from a Spring at a short distance from the house. CHESTERHILL The Dwelling House is much out of repair, and further Lodging Room is essentially necessary. It will therefore be proper to make it what is usually termed a Square House, by raising the walls at the back, and thereby making four lodging rooms instead of two. Cows and Pigs are now the inmates of the Cottages, and a small Byer for each should be erected on this Farm, as well as for the other Cottagers on this Estate. A Threshing Machine to be worked by Steam, is desirable on a Farm of this extent, and will probably be recommended by the Receivers at the new letting on the usual terms. An additional Fold is recommended by the Receivers to be made to the East of the Barns, and appears to be necessary, and another Barn erected, should the Threshing Machine be hereafter provided. After viewing the Buildings on the foregoing Farms, we proceeded to Belford, and on the following morning, the 14th, went to Scremerston to see the several alterations which had taken place since the last visitation in 1805, and found that at SCREMERSTON TOWN FARM, The Dwelling –House has been new roofed in consequence of the Rafters being found irreparable, and a pantry and further Lodging Room provided for the Tenant’s Family, the former being insufficient for their proper accommodation. An expense of about £750 has been incurred here since 1805; but the Receivers appear to have exercised all due economy in the construction of the Works; not to have undertaken any part thereof until the necessity of the accommodation required became apparent; and great care has been taken that the whole should be done in a substantial and workmanlike manner. It appears that the Carpenter employed to raise and new roof the East Hemel, and to lay the floor of the new Granary, was discharged for performing his work in a disreputable way; the Receivers, however, compelled him to complete the Work in a proper manner at his own expence; on a subsequent occasion he gave in a proposal for making some further accommodations in the Dwelling-House, but it was undertaken by another Person at an expence of £135, being £50 less than the Estimate delivered by the Man in question; and they have properly considered that he is unworthy any longer to be employed. SCREMERSTON INLAND PASTURE FARM. The only Work undertaken on this Farm since the last visitation was the unroofing, raising the Walls of, and new roofing, an old Hemel with a Granary above, which was completed for £225, and became necessary in consequence of the entire failure of the Rafters and Laths; the Fold-yard declined so much to the North, that the accumulation of Water was very injurious to the Tenant’s Cattle; the Hemel was, therefore, rebuilt on the same level with one adjoining, by which the Fold was raised, and the Water completely carried off. SCREMERSTON BOREWELL FARM The Dwelling House, which consisted of only two Rooms below and two above, and was insufficient for the Tenant of so large a Farm, was enlarged and new roofed in 1810, at an expense of £394, by raising the back Walls and forming a Kitchen and Dairy below with two Rooms above, and is now a commodious habitation. The Tenant has raised the Garden Wall at his own expense, by which the House and Offices are much sheltered. The whole of the Farm Offices are excellent in condition and arrangement. On finishing our view of the complete establishment of Offices on those valuable Farms, we should, if our time would have allowed, have visited Middleton-hall, where about £2,400 has been expended since the last visitation, in new Buildings; but about £1300 of this sum was incurred by the erection of a new Dwelling-House, the necessity for which, and other conveniences, was apparent to the Committee in 1805, we did not consider our going so far out of our way of importance, and therefore, returned the same day to Morpeth, and early on the following morning visited such of the Farms belonging to Meldon, Needleshall, and Hartburngrainge Estates, whereon material alterations had been made in the establishment of buildings since 1805, commencing with MELDON PARK FARM A new Dwelling – House and Offices having been lately undertaken, and nearly completed, on this Farm we considered the subject deserving our most serious attention and examination. At the last letting, the North and South Farms (with the exception of 66 Acres of the latter laid to the Meldon Farm) were consolidated; the Farm now consists of about 526 Acres, and the Rent was increased (excluding the Land detached as above mentioned) from £446 to £1150 10s. 0d. per Annum. The Dwelling-House belonging to the South Farm, which consists of two Rooms below and two above is (we presume by accident) stated by the Committee who visited the Hospital’s Estates in 1805 to be in very good repair; but on minutely examining it within and without, we found it to be in so decayed and ruinous a condition as to be utterly incapable of being made, either by alteration or addition, a comfortable habitation (independent of its standing on very high and exposed ground), or properly sheltered by any Plantation that could be made for many years to come. The Walls have separated in several places, the Timbers are decayed, and the Floors in bad condition; it is, therefore, now occupied by four Cottagers, for which purpose only it is useful: and as the like number of Cottages must have been erected, if the Dwelling-House had been occupied in any other way, at an expense of £320, and, in point of space, it would have been quite insufficient for the proper accommodation of the Tenant, it appears evident, that the Receivers have exercised due economy in recommending the erection of a new Dwelling- House consisting of two Sitting Rooms, a Kitchen, Dairy, and Wash-House, with four Lodging Rooms above, in the Valley below, and better situated for the convenient occupation of the consolidated Farms. The Dwelling-House on the North Farm is small, consisting only of two Rooms below and two above, is in good repair, and inhabited by Cottagers. It could not have been enlarged at a less expense than £350, and being situate on the North side of the River Wensbeck, the Tenant must have occupied his Farm on the South side to great disadvantage. Admitting, therefore, that if the Farms had been let separate, and this arrangement had not been made, a new Dwelling-House must have been built on the South Farm at the expense now incurred; the North Farm House enlarged; and new Cottages erected at a further expense of £320, it is evident that in laying out £780 in the erection of a new Dwelling-House on the present spot, a considerable saving of expense has taken place. The old uninhabited Dwelling-House situate on the South Farm, adverted to in the Report of the late Visitation, having gone into complete decay, has been pulled down, and the other small Dwelling-House which is in bad condition, has been converted into a Cottage. In the tenant’s proposal for this farm, he stipulated for the erection of a Threshing Machine to go by water, the completion of which, with the necessary Buildings, has cost £1180. A Barley Mill and Flour Cylinder has been lately added to the Threshing Machinery, for grinding the Corn of the Tenant, and other persons in the neighbourhood, at the expense of £181, for which the farmer pays £8 per cent on the Money laid out. A hemel and a Turnip House were built in 1812 on the South Farm, in lieu of old ruinous Buildings of the same description in danger of falling, at an expense of £300; a Cottage and Stable rebuilt in a proper situation, in lieu of similar buildings gone into complete decay, and another Stable erected at a further expense of £300; a small Drying Kiln has also been built for £43; and a Cart-shed, which is much wanted for the preservation of Implements of Husbandry, is about to be erected. The Farms under observation, were, for 40 Years previous to the commencement of the present Lease, occupied for Grazing Cattle, but in consequence of the improved state of Agriculture in the North, are now principally in Tillage, and it follows, that buildings suitable, and in some respects, sufficient for grazing lands, are quite inadequate to Farms brought into Tillage, where the population is increased by the addition of manual labour and a greater number of Horses, and where Buildings for housing the Corn and other Provender, are absolutely necessary: the increased Rent by this conversion, has also justified the additional expenditure. The arrangement of Offices on this valuable Farm appears to be very judicious; and the Tenant, who is said to be an excellent Farmer, will, no doubt, improve it to the best advantage. As in common with the other Tenants of the Hospital’s Estates, he has borne all the expense of carrying the Materials; there is reason to believe that he has already expended nearly £1500 in carrying forward the buildings on the Farm in question, in which. by his Lease, he has only a limited interest, but which must be of lasting advantage to the Hospital. MELDON FARM This Farm formerly consisted of the East and West Farms, which are now consolidated, and contains 554 Acres. The Dwelling – House, heretofore belonging to the former, is sufficiently large and in good condition, but the House on the West farm is very small, and occupied by the Tenant’s brother. At the establishment on the West Farm, a Stable, Foal – House, and Byer, have been rebuilt since 1805, in lieu of similar buildings which were old, one of which had fallen, and the remainder in danger of falling, at an expense of £260. A Barn for a Straw House, and a Hemel to enclose the Fold with a Granary above (both of which appear to have been necessary), have been completed for £148. On the East Farm a Cart – shed has been erected for £213 for the preservation of the Carts, Ploughs, etc. no accommodation of that kind being in existence; a Hemel, a Stable with a floor above for hay, and a Cottage with a Granary above, have been rebuilt, in lieu of old ruinous buildings of the like kind, no longer repairable, at an expense of £380; another Stable and a Foal – House, with Floors above, been erected for £160, and were essentially necessary. A Tower for a Threshing Machine to go by Wind has cost £175, and one of the Barns, and several of the other Offices on this Farm, having last year become entirely ruinous, a new Barn for the Threshing Machine was built, another lengthened and repaired, with the addition of a Granary above, and a Calf and Turnip House erected, all at an expense of £570. A Threshing Machine on an improved principle (for which the Tenant pays at the rate of 8 per Cent additional Rent) has also been provided at an Expense of £677. The whole of the arrangement of Offices does great credit to the Receivers, who caused all the convertible Materials in the Old Buildings to be used in the New Works, and there is reason to believe, that not any material expense for Buildings will be incurred on the Meldon Farms for many years to come. As these Farms have been judiciously consolidated, we strongly recommend that they should not be separated on any future lettings. NEEDLESHALL SOUTH FARM Since the last visitation, two Byers have been rebuilt in lieu of others become ruinous, for £120; a Shed for Carts and other implements of Husbandry, erected for £92; no accommodation of that description being on the Farm; and the walls of an old Byer raised, lengthened, and new roofed, and converted into a stable, for £116; the whole arrangement of Offices appears to be in good condition. HARTBURNGRAINGE MIDDLE FARM Two Byers for a Threshing Machine, and a Straw – House and Hemel, have been rebuilt here since 1805, in lieu of old Buildings of the like kind, no longer supportable, at an expense of £246. A Stable adjoining the Dwelling – House is in a state of ruin, and should be taken down and rebuilt: the Roof of two Byers between the Threshing barn and small Hemel is in bad condition, the walls of which should be raised and new roofed. The Coal – house is also in a miserable state, but as the Tenant appears to be a very slovenly Farmer, and negligent of his Premises, the Receivers have not hitherto considered him worthy of much encouragement. Having thus viewed such of the Farms belonging to the Meldon Estate on which any material works had been undertaken, we proceeded the same day (Saturday) to Newcastle; and on Monday conversed with Mr. Peters, the Hospital’s Solicitor, respecting the Titles to the Ground lately ordered to be purchased at Thorneyburn, Greystead, Bellingham, and Falstone, which we found to be now satisfactory, and ordered the Receivers to complete the said purchases.We also entered further into the consideration of the proposals for building Churches and Parsonage – Houses, and directed the several Competitors to meet us at Haydon – Bridge, on our return from the Parish of Simonburn. On the 18th we proceeded to Hexham; and, on our way, visited the following Farms at Thornbrough and Dilston, viz. THORNBROUGH Town FARM This Farm now consists of 438 Acres, and comprises what, previous to the present Lease, constituted the South and part of the East and North Farms. The Dwelling – House belonging to the East Farm has been enlarged since the last visitation, for the accommodation of the present Tenant, at an expense of £174. The old Dwelling – House on the South Farm, now inhabited by labourers, is in a ruinous condition and must shortly be taken down; and the House on the North Farm, the walls of which were of mud, and the interior entirely decayed, has been very properly removed. A Threshing Machine to go by Water has been provided at an expense of £484, for which the Tenant pays £8 per Cent additional Rent. A Barn has been altered and a Horse-House built for a Threshing Machine, at an expense of £140, and a Stable erected, in lieu of one become ruinous, for £194. As the Offices on the several Farms comprised in the present Letting were very much detached, and many of them had become ruinous, the Receivers recommend to the Board that a new establishment should be formed in a proper situation, which was approved, and a Wheel-Case, Barn, and Straw-House, with a Floor above for the Threshing Machine, and two Turnip-Houses, were accordingly built,which, with Building one Hemel, rebuilding another, and a Stable with a Floor above for Hay, a Byer, and Blacksmith’s Shop; building two Cottages, one of them with a Floor above for the principal Servant; a Harness-House with a Floor above; a Cartwrights Shop; and altering an old Barn into two Cottages, cost together £1840. We must do the Receivers the justice to say that the arrangement of these Buildings appears to have been made with great judgment, and well calculated for the proper accommodation of the Tenant and preservation of his Stock; and in their combination and completion, the serviceable materials of the old Buildings appear to have been usefully employed, and a commendable economy observed in these extensive but necessary erections. Such of the old Buildings as were convertible to the purpose, are now occupied by labourers, of whom many are necessary on this valuable Farm. LIMESTONE QUARRY GROUND Now consists of 86 Acres, and was created out of the North Farm. A Cottage, with a Room above and two small Hemels, has been built, a Byer, Stable, Barn, and Cottage, rebuilt contiguous to the Quarry, in lieu of similar ruinous Buildings situated at Thornbrough Town, at an expense of £314, the Old Materials having been used in their construction as far as they were found useful. THORNBROUGH HIGHBARN’S FARM. Was enlarged at the late Lettings, by an addition of land from the East Farm, and now contains 340 Acres. The Dwelling – House, which before only consisted of two Rooms below and two above, was enlarged last year, at an expense of £565. A great proportion of the Offices on this Farm being old, thatched, and ruinous Buildings, and much detached, it was recommended to the Board, that a new arrangement should be made, and the same being ordered, a Barn for a Strw-House with a Floor above, a Hemel, two Byers, and a Calf-House, have been rebuilt, and a Cottage and Turnip House erected at an expense of £476, and a small Hemel, a small Stable with a floor above, a Cart-shed, Smith’s Shop, and five Pig – Houses, are now erecting, and a small Byer and Stable rebuilding, the expense of which is estimated at £402. These Buildings were stated to be necessary and expected, when the proposals for this Farm were delivered in, and will, when finished, form a very complete and compact Homestead, creditable to the proprietors, useful to the Tenant, and permanently beneficial to the Hospital. The late Tenant, Thomas Forrest, having been discovered disposing of his Stock and Crop, the Receivers immediately took possession, and ultimately recovered the Rent due; they also provided Stock and Implements of Husbandry for the Cultivation of the Farm, at an expense of £1700, which has been repaid the Hospital by the sale of the Former, and produce of the crop. The Farm is now let to Robert and Thomas Jobling, who have greatly improved it, and appear to be well qualified to do it justice. DILSTON NEW TOWN NORTH FARM The only alterations which have taken place since the last visitation, are the raising the Walls and new roofing two Barns, Building two Cottages, a Foal-House with a Floor above, and a small Hemel, and making an addition to another Hemel and Granary, at an expense £450. These Buildings afford proper shelter for the Tenant’s Stock, and complete the South side of the Fold. An addition is necessary to the Dwelling house, the expense of which is estimated at about £250, and has been ordered by the Board. Another small Fold is stated to be wanted, and will, probably, be recommended at some future period. DILSTON NEW TOWN SOUTH FARM The Dwelling – House, which was little better than a Cottage, and insufficient for the accommodation of the Tenant, and, at the last Visitation stated to be barely in tenantable repair, has been enlarged at an expense of £608, and is now a comfortable habitation. The Stabling being insufficient, another was built, and the Fold being greatly exposed, two Hemels were erected at the North and South ends of the Threshing Barn to enclose the same, which, with repairing and altering two Barns, and building a Horse-House for a Threshing Machine (worked by Horses, and provided by the Tenant at his own expense), cost £202. There are several small Buildings on this Farm nearly ruinous, which will, probably, be soon taken down. DILSTON HALL FARM The Dwelling – House is of moderate size, and in good repair, and the Offices generally commodious, although part of the Fold wants enclosing. DILSTON DEMESNE HAUGH FARM The Dwelling – House is in good condition. A useful suite of Offices has been completed, by building a Hemel and Turnip-House with Granary above, in lieu of two ruinous Byers and a Stable; raising and new roofing a Barn; and building an addition for a Straw –House; rebuilding a Stable with a Floor above which had become ruinous, and building a Turnip-House, at the aggregate expense of £860. A Threshing Machine to go by Water (which is supplied from the Water-course of Dilston Mill) has been also erected at an expense of £322, for which the Tenant pays the usual additional Rent of £8 per Cent. DILSTON DEMESNE MILL FARM The Granary at the Mill House being found to be very insufficient for the Stowage of Corn and Flour, the Walls have been raised, and two new Floors formed, which, with putting in a new Water Wheel, Pit Wheel, Spur Wheel, and Pinion, and altering some of the Machinery at the Mill, cost £624; expenditure which we consider to have been necessary and proper, the House and Mill being now in excellent condition. DILSTON WOODKEEPERS FARM The Cottage has been enlarged since 1805 at an expense of about £150, which was unavoidably necessary, for the purpose of affording occasional accommodation and Lodging for the Workmen, employed in the extensive Woods and Plantations belonging to the Hospital on this part of its Estate.
This report documenting the Greenwich Hospital’s visition report to its northern estate in the summer of 1815 is truncated in the database as its length is too great for a single entry. The full report is available to download as a PDF.