Report – John Bell – 1 Jul 1792

Document Type: Report
Date: 1 Jul 1792
Correspondent: John Bell
  • Transcription
  • Notes
  • Comments (0)
  • Change font
    If columns/tables do not appear straight, change font
Begins at the Braidpool & from thence South West up the Long Moss to a Well near the Moospike Hill from thence to the Moospike Hill to Eanshaw Haff then Southward by Eanshaw Cleugh Head from thence rather south East down a Green swang to Charlton Hole so down the Syke in the south Side of Caldcoat Rigg that Divides SpittleĀ  Shield Fell from East Greenridge Fell from thence Eastward down the Syke on the Southside of Caldcoat Rigg - to the North side of Spittell Shield Inclosed Lands and the south side of Hall Shield Ground and from the said Syke northward up the Green Syke to the foot of the White Hill then East and North East to the Breckony Bed adjoining the south West Point of [struck out: Dotland Fell inclosed Grounds] Mr. Charltons allotment upon Dotland Fell now inclosed.
Undated description of East Greenridge common boundary, to the south-west of Hexham. Dotland Fell was enclosed in 1760, and Greenridge in 1800 as part of the Hexhamshire Common enclosure. Planning for this began in earnest in late 1791 so this account may date from around that time. It is likely to have been prepared by John Bell, steward of Hexham manor

Leave a comment

We welcome further information or corrections on topics and incidents mentioned in individual letters. It might take a while before your comments are checked for adding to public view within the website. We cannot undertake further research in response to questions.

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


General Discussion
Suggested correction or addition


  Return to search results or refine/create new search
The Dukesfield Smelters and Carriers Project aimed to celebrate and discover the heritage of the Dukesfield Arches & lead carriers' routes between Blaydon and the lead mines of Allendale and Weardale. A two year community project, it was led by the Friends of the North Pennines in partnership with Hexhamshire and Slaley Parish Councils and the active support of Allendale Estates. It was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and the generous support of other sponsors. Friends of the North Pennines: Charity No:1137467