- Comments (0) Change font
If columns/tables do not appear straight, change font
Wm Hodgson Mar 13th 1833 I am favd with your letter of 11th March. I am decidedly of the opinion that we had better hold from selling large parcels for the next Month or six weeks - unless we can obtain £14 to deliver in June and July. I think you may fairly state that we shall not be in stock before that time that we do not wish to make prospective sales in the present state of the market. This should be made known to the Lead Co who no doubt will be glad to remedy their late error by keeping up the market. It will take a month or six to give Mr Ps Process a fair trial and on its success depends the increased quantity of our common lead. Every renewed experiment convinces me the more of its great importance both as to the improvement of the comn Lead in quality, and the application of it for the best description of white lead. The quality of the refd lead will be depreciated, but the quantity will be reduced one half or more. Messrs Cox Payser & Co have applied to me for the price of Litharge and Lead. I have offered them 3000 frs at £13 and £13-10. Six Mos credit from date of contract and Litharge at £14.10- From the general competition in the Litharge trade I have since been induced to offer it at £14. Mr Parker applied to purchase to purchase last week but declined at £14-10. they are about to coomence manufacturing. Mr P also enquired if I would make them an offer of Lead at £13 and £13.10, which I declined stating our deficiency of stock and objection at present to make prospective sales. I offered Mr P a bet of a new G1 nt that we would sell lead at £14 within three months which he declined. Messrs Cookson are also going to manufacture litharge. I shd like to blight their prospects of progress. Stockton list sent.