- Comments (0) Change font
If columns/tables do not appear straight, change font
1728 Oct. 7. Monday. The corpse of Sir William Blackett, Bart., who had been one of the representatives in Parliament for the town of Newcastle upon Tyne since the year 1710, after lying in state for several days, was interred in St. Nicholas' church. His funeral was solemnized with great decency and order. First came the Charity scholars, who were supported by his liberality in the school of St. Andrew's parish, singing and new cloathed in grey with black caps, who were followed by 26 mourners, among whom were 8 of his menial servants in deep mourning. After them 12 of his stewards. Next the Clergy of the Corporation, followed by the Vicar alone. Then the led horse, and after him the banners. Then the corpse, supported by 8 gentlemen. After them a number of clergy and gentry. Then came the Mayor and Aldermen in their robes, before whom the mace and sword were carried in deep mourning. After them followed the Common Council. Next upwards of 200 gentlemen to whom were given scarves and gloves. Then upwards of 2000 freemen, who had gloves; and the stewards of the companies were presented with rings. The procession was brought up with a great number of coaches : the first of which was his own, in mourning, drawn by 6 horses, and on the forehead of each was his crest most curiously emblazoned.
Report in the Newcastle Courant issue of 12th October